Singing is GOOD for you!! I recently stumbled upon a blogsite that listed 15 reasons singing is GOOD for you!
Here they are:
1. Singing releases endorphins, which make you feel instantly happier.
2. And when you sing you also release oxytocin, which is a natural stress reliever and is found to alleviate feelings of depression and loneliness.
3. You’ll also sleep better, as a result of being less stressed.
4. Tests have shown that singing improves heart rate visibility, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
5. And, when singing with someone else, your heart rates can even sync together.
6. Your posture will get straighter and you’ll gradually look more confident.
7. And your feelings of safety and confidence increase when singing in a group.
8. It’s actually a good workout. You’ll work out your lungs, improve your circulation, and tone your abdominal and intercostal muscles. (this is assuming you're doing it correctly - book a lesson now to learn how!)
9. Singing also has been proven to boost your immune system.
10. And even if you’re already sick, just hum a little number and you’ll open up your sinuses and respiratory tubes.
11. It’s really good for your brain and will enhance your mental awareness, concentration, and memory.
12. You’ll develop healthier breathing patterns, which can help cope with various lung diseases.
13. It’s been used as an all-natural way to help treat dementia, lung cancer, depression, and chronic pain.
14. You’ll probably live longer, in general.
Check out this fun article from BuzzFeed where I got this list from.
I don't actually know how scientific all 15 of these are but I do know they are ALL true for me!! Singing feels good, makes me happy, alive and engaged with the world... Come sing for yourself! (ha ha - see what I did there?)